It's a Hoppin' Little Joint

My photo
Single mother of two girls, I live an unorthodox life.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Legend of the CrossRoads



“If you want to learn how to make songs yourself, you take your guitar and you go to where the road crosses that way, where a crossroads is. Get there be sure to get there just a little ‘ fore 12 that night so you know you’ll be there. You have your guitar and be playing a piece there by yourself…A big black man will walk up there and take your guitar and he’ll tune it. And then he’ll play a piece and hand it back to you. That’s the way I learned to play anything I want.” ~Tommy Johnson



Thus begins the legend of one of the greatest blues players ever, Robert Johnson. This particular legend says that Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil at the crossroads on a dark midnight to become the greatest blues player ever. Even though the 'crossroads' will forever be linked to Robert Johnson, and the origins come from deep south legends and tales, this phenomena is not limited to blues guitar players or delta residents. I believe in the legend of the crossroads, in a far greater context.

"Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. " Joseph Campbell




People who truly transcend the common and achieve greatness seem to have experienced some sort of mental break through. This I believe is what the legend of the crossroads is about.

  • You go out on your own into a scary dark place. (The inner most depth of your mind)
  • You meet with the devil himself there. (Monsters are lurking deep in the caverns of your mind don't ya know)
  • You trade your soul for your greatness. (You must give yourself wholely to the quest or I guess decide your going to hell anyway)


I have been to the crossroads. Literally and metaphorically. I took a trip to Clarksdale in 2004. But I've been to the crossroads in my mind many times. Unable to strike a deal. I think I'm ready and I'm going back tonight............




Sources:

http://www.zerotime.com/2007/10/02/robert-johnson-at-the-crossroads/
http://www.mrjumbo.com/contents/delta99/3delta/clarksdale.html

No comments:

Post a Comment